1 egg, large
1 pita bread
½ cup seedless grapes
2 ounces low-fat Swiss cheese
½ cup alfalfa sprouts
* Create-A-Flavor Changes
Add your own ideas, too!
Choose other ingredients from each part of the Food Guide Pyramid:
• Meat: lean ham, cooked chicken, canned tuna, garbanzo beans
• Milk: try different types of grated cheese or cottage cheese or yogurt
• Vegetables: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, green peppers, shredded carrot, chopped celery
• Fruit: crushed pineapple, chopped apple, raisins.
- To hard-cook egg: Place egg in saucepan with tight-fitting lid and cover with cold water. Set pan on burner; cook on high until water begins to boil. Turn off burner. Remove pan from stove; let sit 10 minutes. Place egg in cold water.
- While egg is cooking, prepare other ingredients.
- Cut pita bread in half.
- Cut grapes in half.
- Grate cheese.
- Peel and discard eggshell; chop egg.
- Assemble sandwich by evenly distributing chopped egg, cheese, grapes, and alfalfa sprouts in each pita half.
Yields about 2 sandwiches
Source: Cooking Up Fun! Pyramid of Snacks – Cornell University Cooperative Exten
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?