1 ½ cups roasted butternut squash puree, or other winter squash
puree of your choice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
1 tsp. turmeric
3 cups fat free, low-sodium vegetable broth, kept hot
½ cup parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add rice while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add turmeric and cook about 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding broth in ¾ cup increments
and stirring often until the rice is creamy (not soupy) and soft but still al dente, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add roasted squash and cheese. Stir. Add nutmeg to taste. Serve immediately. If not serving immediately, keep warm and add cheese right before serving.
Yields about 8 servings
Source: Recipe created by Lindsay Krasna, Dietetic Intern, Cornell University, 2008
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?