vegetable cooking spray
1 pound potatoes (3 cups sliced)
1 onion, sliced (1 cup sliced onion)
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1/2 cup grated)
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup skim milk
More Fresh Ideas for Potatoes
• Bake potatoes and serve plain with toppings.
• Mash potatoes, alone or with carrots or squash.
• Add potatoes to vegetable soup.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Slice potatoes and onion thinly.
- Grate cheese.
- Combine oregano, salt, and pepper in small dish.
- Place half of potatoes in baking dish. Spread onions over potatoes. Sprinkle with half the seasoning mixture. Layer remaining potatoes on top.
- Add milk, remaining seasoning, and cheese.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes.
- Change oven setting to broil and broil uncovered, until evenly browned.
Yields about 4 servings
Source: GET FRESH! Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University and Cornell Cooperative Extension, 2001.
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?