1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1 tsp. bottled minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups fat free, reduced sodium vegetable broth (or beef)
1 cup potatoes, washed, peeled, and cubed
1 cup carrots, washed, peeled, and sliced
½ cup macaroni pasta
1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 bay leaf
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot. Cook the onion celery and garlic until onion is tender but not brown.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, pepper, bay leaf and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add pasta and beans. Cook about 10 more minutes or until pasta is done.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated cheese, if desired.
Yields about 8 servings
Source: Recipe developed by staff at CUCE-Cayuga County