1 egg, large
¾ cup skim milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
* Create-a-Flavor Changes
Add your own ideas, too!
• Buttermilk Pancakes. Substitute 1 cup buttermilk for the milk. Decrease amount of baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add ½ teaspoon baking soda.
• Whole Wheat Pancakes. Substitute whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour. Substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar.
• Buckwheat Pancakes. Substitute ½ cup buckwheat flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour.
• Apple Pancakes. Stir ½ cup chopped apple into batter.
• Blueberry Pancakes. Stir ½ cup blueberries into batter. Or add them as you go – after the first side cooks, drop a few blueberries onto the uncooked side; flip and continue cooking.
• Broccoli Pancakes. Stir ½ cup finely chopped broccoli into batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir with a spoon or whisk until batter is smooth.
- Heat non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pan is ready when a few drops of water bounce around.
- Pour batter from a large spoon (about 1/4 cup per pancake); turn when puffed and full of bubbles, cooking second side until golden brown.
- With a spatula, lift pancake from the griddle to a serving plate.
Yields about 10 servings (One 4-inch pancake per serving)
Source: Cooking Up Fun! Muffins & More – Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?