2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Measure flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar into a large bowl. Stir to combine ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over low heat (or microwave on high 30 seconds); cool.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat. Add milk, lemon juice, and melted margarine. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. It’s OK for the dough to be a little sticky, but add more flour if the dough gets too sticky to handle.
- Shape the dough into four rounded loaves, about 4 inches in diameter; place on baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife dipped in flour, cut a cross 1/2 inch deep across the top of each loaf.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until brown and crusty.
Yields about 16 servings
Source: Cooking Up Fun! Muffins & More – Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?