vegetable cooking spray
1 bunch kale (3 cups chopped)
1 large onion (1 cup chopped)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
¼ cup water
½ cup skim milk
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1/2 cup grated)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Fresh Cooking Tips
• Try other fresh greens, such as spinach or collards, in this recipe.
• Chop kale quickly by stacking and rolling the leaves.
• Choose lowfat cheese to reduce the amount of fat in this recipe.
A Child Can Help
• Wash kale
• Tear leaves in pieces instead of chopping
• Set the table.
- Preheat oven to 375. Coat 9-inch round baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Wash and chop kale. Chop onion.
- Heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high. Add onion. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes, until soft and brown.
- Stir in kale and water. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Blend in kale mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set for 2 to 3 minutes. Slice into wedges.
Yields about 6 servings
Source: Get Fresh! Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University and Cornell Cooperative Extension, 2001
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?