1 cup diced apple
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ cup diced celery
½ cup grated carrot
½ cup raisins
½ cup low-fat vanilla yogurt1 bunch Curly Kale (8-10 ounces)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other oil)
• ¼ – 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Optional: garlic or onion powder, chili powder, and/or cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Strip the leaves from the kale stems (hold base of stem in one hand, and slide and pinch the leaves off with the other hand), and tear into medium size pieces (about 2 by 2 inches).
- Wash and spin the leaves until thoroughly dry.
- Mix the salt and other seasonings into the oil in a small pourable container.
- In a large bowl (or in the pan), use your hands to massage the oil mixture into the kale leaves until well coated.
- Spread the kale in a single layer onto two large rimmed baking sheets, being sure not to overcrowd the kale.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the kale is crispy but not burned (the kale will shrink).
- Cool the kale on the sheet for 3 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.
Yields about 8 servings
Source: Wendy Wolfe, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?