1 pound ground beef
2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
2 pounds low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fat free parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, made from part-skim milk
36 cooked lasagna noodles
- Put ground beef in a large frying pan and break apart, cook until brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, chopped onion and garlic, sugar and oregano to cooked meat mixture. Simmer for about one hour.
- Just before tomato-meat mixture finishes simmering, combine ricotta cheese, parsley, parmesan cheese and eggs in a bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Create lasagna layers in two large baking pans. Start with a layer of tomato-meat mixture; top with a single layer of lasagna noodles; top with some of the cheese mixture and a portion of the shredded mozzarella. Repeat layers until lasagna noodles have been used, ending with a thin layer of tomato-meat mixture.
- Bake at 350° F for one hour.
Yields about 12 servings
Source: Michigan State University Extension – Eating Right is Basic – Enhanced
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?