1 bell pepper
8 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons nonfat milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 ounces nonfat cheese
1/3 cup nonfat refried beans
1/3 cup salsa
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Wash bell pepper and onion. Dice.
- Coat pan with cooking spray and fry bell pepper and onion over medium-high heat for a few minutes until tender.
- Put vegetables into another container and set aside.
- In bowl, use fork to whisk 8 egg whites and 2 yolks (or egg substitute), salt, pepper, and milk.
- Grate cheese. Open beans.
- Place frying pan on medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Pour egg mixture into pan. Scrape from edges to center for 20 seconds.
- Let eggs cook until firm.
- Spread beans onto one-half of eggs. Add vegetables and salsa.
- Fold egg onto mixture (like a taco). Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Carefully slide omelet onto plate. Cut into quarters and serve.
Yields about 4 servings
Source: Eat Fit (University of California Cooperative Extension)
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?