1 cup masa harina mix (corn tortilla mix)
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons water
1 small can nonfat refried beans (16 ounces)
4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups red leaf lettuce, chopped
1 cup salsa
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Mix masa harina mix with water.
- Stir until water is absorbed and mixture is sticky. Add more water if needed.
- Separate into 8 equal balls, about the size of a large golf ball.
- Make a tortilla by flattening out each ball between wax paper or with hands.
- Place tortilla into very hot skillet, cooking each side twice for about 30 seconds each time. Place tortillas on a broiler pan in a single layer as they are finished.
- Once all tortillas are on the pan, place broiler pan in the oven and set to broil.
- Flip tortillas every minute or so until crispy (about 10 minutes).
- Layer each tostada shell evenly with beans, cheese, lettuce, and salsa.
Yields about 8 servings
Source: Eat Fit (University of California Cooperative Extension)
Do you want to print a copy of this recipe?